In early 2018, I contemplated having a hair transplant surgery, but I had so many questions that ran through my head and I needed answers.
I read several articles, reviews, and YouTube videos on the entire hair transplant procedure, but I knew I couldn’t make such an important decision without speaking with the cosmetic doctor who would perform the surgery.
As I mentioned in My Alopecia (Hair Loss) Story, I found Dr. Matt Huebner at Natural Transplants in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
After watching his before and after videos, I knew he would be the one to perform the HUE (High-Yield Unit Extraction); in other words, FUT/strip transplant.
I realized the time slotted for our initial call was approximately 30 minutes and the remaining questions I didn’t have the opportunity to ask.
Hence, I was able to ask a surgery coordinator. I compiled a list of questions to prepare for my video call with Dr. Huebner and hopefully, they’ll help you too.
Here are my top 36 Questions to ask before having a hair transplant.
36 Questions to Ask a Hair Transplant Doctor:
Questions About the Hair Transplant Doctor
- Do you perform only Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) or Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) transplants?
- Do you specialize in other cosmetic procedures?
- Are you board certified? By which board?
- How many hair transplant surgeries have you performed in your career? What is your success rate?
- How many of these surgeries were performed on black/African American women and men (wavy, curly, coarse, and coily hair)?
Pre-Operative/Medication/Surgery Questions for Hair Transplant
- Will I have enough donor hair for surgery?
- How many hairs or grafts will you need to perform the surgery?
- Are there any scalp exercises that I need to do to improve (elasticity) the amount of scalp you can remove to yield the best results (pertains to FUT surgery)?
- When will my hair start to grow?
- Will the results look completely natural?
- Will I need future hair transplants?
- Are there special preparations, such as tests or changes in my medication(s)?
- Are pain medications prescribed?
- Will I be able to take my normal medication(s) simultaneously with the pain medication?
- How long does the surgery take?
- Will I be under local anesthesia?
- What are the possible side effects?
- How long will it take for the suture to heal?
- When can I have the sutures removed (pertains to FUT surgery)?
Post-Operative Hair Transplant Questions
- Are there after-surgery instructions that I need to adhere to?
- What can I do to help with my recovery?
- In how many months will I be able to start using a texturizer, relaxer, etc. on my hair?
- When will I be able to return to my regular activities (e.g. work, lifting, exercising, driving)?
- Will I be able to wear a scarf around my head?
- When can I start to wear a wig to conceal the surgery?
- Is there a travel incentive? If so, how much?
- Is it safe to travel alone after my surgery?
- Will I be able to travel the day after my surgery?
- How do I rest my head on the plane or in the car?
- How much is a deposit?
- What’s the overall cost of a hair transplant?
- How are the payments set up?
- Do you provide payment credit assistance?
- Will you take before and after photos? If so, will they be released to the public?
- Can we keep photos and videos private for your records only?
- Can I have a copy of any photos or videos for my records?
Next, read my 8 Quick Tips to Consider Before Having a Hair Transplant.
Did you find these questions listed in this article helpful? If you enjoyed this article, share it with your family, friends, and colleagues! Feel free to leave a comment below.